Friday 28 October 2011

Dragons and Lizards and weather signs.....

We are having the hottest October in fifty years and possibly in the last hundred years. Temperatures yesterday on my veranda reached 35.1 C (97F) and predicted to reach 38 (100F) this weekend. My friend The Dragon is melting, she claims that Dragons need cool temperatures to be happy. I, on the other hand, nicknamed the Lizard because I so love being warm am a happy camper. Out in the bush the last drop of moisture is being leached away and everything turns taupe and sand coloured and wildfires destroy thousands of hectares.

Last night, later in the evening, having checked on the dogs I felt the faintest zephyr, merest whisper of a breeze. I wasn't even sure, to begin with, that it was even real. Then I realised even the smallest of my wind chimes were not ringing which could only mean that this whisper of air movement was directly out of the north. Excitement bubbled. Our rain bearing winds come from the north and we've had nothing but southerlies for six months. Living in such a drought prone region no one gets even faintly excited, or even sometimes moves indoors until the rain is truly hammering down, but here is just a faint breathe of hope.

Abruptly I was reminded of the gospel from a couple of Sundays ago, where Jesus says to the Pharisees " you can read the weather but not yourselves". It is easy to say to myself, I am self reflective and I do know myself, after a fashion. But there is always something isn't there about myself that takes me by surprise. Some need, some arrogance, some fantasy, some distrust, some nursed anger that blossoms, seemingly out of nowhere. Not in the heat as it does for my friend The Dragon but more often in the rigours of the cold for me.

1 comment:

  1. We are heading into damp, rainy, chilly weather...perfect for a fire in the fireplace. I love the heat, but I also appreciate the changing seasons...I do hope you get rain!

    ReplyDelete

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.