Monday 27 February 2012

Deserts

We have just spent time considering desert life in Sunday's readings. That inevitable bleak, awfulness that seems to invade everyone's life at some point. Like Jesus we are often driven into the desert but I go unwillingly and with great resistance. For this desert place of desolation is familiar to me as the hair on my head.

I reflect today that for all its familiarity, for all the well known ache of it it is not something I ever talk about.

Why?

It seems to me that if you are driven to despair by an addiction to drugs or by anorexia or by an abusive husband or cancer that these are topics that can be spoken about and which will as often as not receive a sympathetic hearing. But when your particular desert leads down the road to self destruction, well then. Perhaps not always. I am not talking about that fleeting suicidal fantasy that a person might experience but rather that well planned and carefully thought out option that is amongst the deck of cards that I hold as a response to any given situation on any given day.

I recall one deep dark night a couple of years ago searching blogs on suicide. There were remarkably few. Curious I plugged in "sexual abuse" and was overwhelmed by the mass of choice out there. By some remarkable circumstance I landed on Gannet Girl's blog "Desert Year", written about her response to the death by suicide of her beautiful son. I began to learn what suicide might do to others, not something that had occurred to me then. I learned that I am not alone in these self destructive feelings and began to chart their origin with in me, in the hopes of heading the downward slide off before it got really dangerous.

Now it occurs to me that this painful process might be made easier if I had someone else's experience to add to my own. And perhaps that I might feel less of an outcast.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, so we are writing about the same things -- feeling outcast in a sea of community. After I wrote yesterday's post about not belonging in the breast cancer community, I thought: the issue is not death, awful as that is; the issue is suicide. However it touches us, it is profoundly isolating, because it is an almost completely taboo topic.

    From the once and still sometimes Gannet Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have from time to time, for years at a time, contemplated ending my life. Despair was too deep, bleakness too pervasive, and, no relief in sight. But again and again the realization that any action like this on my part would be so traumatic for my family has held me at bay. Thankfully life has gotten better. I pray that it does for you too. But always know how much you are thought of, cared about, and loved, and appreciated - from even so great a distance.

    ReplyDelete

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.