Tuesday 3 November 2020

Thirsty Bees

 African bees have a fearsome reputation but if left alone are fairly peaceful. 

A hive moved into an abandoned termite hole just over our wall last summer and apart from some increased traffic around our flowering plants all has seemed peaceful. I've had the odd war with the pesticide people who when spraying for termites have wanted to spray the hive also. The hive survived the long dry winter and came out in force to sup upon the flowers of our jacaranda tree. Th tree seemed to hum there were so many bees in it.

Imagine my surprise to find them drinking in numbers from the bird bath outside my office and the lip of the fish pond made from a concrete pot. I am told by my beekeeping sister in law (who lives in England) that water is essential for building wax. So I guess the hive is expanding. The long and the short of it is that we are filling the bird bath and fishpond twice a day as evaporation in our October heat drops the water below the level the bees can reach.

It is a gift to tend such wild creatures in a suburban setting.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.