Wednesday 22 June 2011

Silence is within?

I had to have an MRI last night.

I had been told all sorts of scary stories about how claustrophobic and how noisy the machine is and how hard it is to lie completely still for forty minutes or so. Consequently I was a little anxious.

So it began.

And it was everything I had been told. Small space, loud noise, held still.

Reaching for some way to be that wasn't frightened or panicky I sought comfort in the familiarity of the Rosary. Began the prayers without the beads, using my fingers pressed against the vibrating machine to measure the count. After a while I forgot about the noise and my breathing slowed to an even calm and part of me marvelled that, in the short space of time I have been praying the rosary, it has become so easy to slip into its cadence and rhythm.

So it strikes me what I am sure so many know .... that silence comes from with in and ...... that noise needn't be a disruption of that silence.

2 comments:

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.