Monday 24 June 2013

Shattered dignity?

I fell this morning over my elderly golden retriever who was deeply asleep on the steps to my office at the time. A case of not paying attention to what I was doing because I was trying to do too many things at once. So instead of edging out of my office door keeping the other two shut in I was already talking to the guys who had come to service the generator. My crashing tumble had a number of witnesses. The generator guys, my assistant, and a newly arrived client.

Landing heavily on my shoulder I rolled across the veranda. It was not a graceful flight to earth for I am not a small or light woman. More like timber coming down.

Stunned I lay there for half a moment very much aware that any dignity I might have had was in tatters. Then, as sometimes happens to me in such situations, I was overtaken by a fit of the giggles which exploded into full blown laughter. My audience seemed dumbfounded and uncertain as to which move to make next when confronted with a toppled accountant lying on her back laughing.

Eventually the laughter subsided and I was assisted to my feet and dusted down with much solicitousness.

I will have some spectacular bruises in the morning and my ankle is gently swollen. I have used it as an excuse to take the afternoon off and sit in the sun listening to Margaret Rizza's Light in our Darkness which soothed the last of my shattered dignity.

And if you should be wondering my beautiful "old boy" escaped the incident unscathed.

4 comments:

  1. Of course the doggie is fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness. Well I'm glad you had the where with all to laugh, that is a great response. I usually say something far less becoming....and I usually say it several times. sigh. I'm glad you, and the dog, are fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually I too use less than lady like language but the ridiculousness of my situation mercifully triggered an entirely different response.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you found it amusing!

    ReplyDelete

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.