Monday 5 October 2020

Lost words

 There was a time when I wrote every day, whether in my journal or blog or even briefly in my diary but that is long in the past. Words became more and more erratic until they dried up completely. Looking back, I just got tired of constantly explaining myself to myself. My world became more immediate and lived without explanation to myself. I have lived simply, doing each day what needs to be done. My children are grown and left home and in their place I am caring for my elderly mother who has dementia. Sadly she is physically fit and well but she no longer recognizes her own home and sometimes doesn't recall my name. 

As I sit with her, mostly in companionable silence, I have begun to reflect.

A different reflecting from the sometimes agonized reflecting of the past. I am no longer caught up in her alcoholism, or  violent unpredictable behaviour. These aspects of her life are now things of the past. 

We are in a new relationship.

And I have yet to come to grips with it.


                                                       Mum enjoying her gardenia flowers



No comments:

Post a Comment

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.