Sunday 24 April 2011

High Holy Days


I've had a severe bout of flu these last few days and so have been too ill to attend any of the Triduum Masses. It is the first time in years that I have missed the Triduum, which was the moment I fell in love with the Easter Liturgy as Catholics do it. It was a long faltering hop from here to wanting to become a Catholic, but this is where the desire to do so crystallised into consciousness for me.

Instead I have had a very different kind of Easter. Prayed alone for the most part.

This morning I have stood by our east facing windows and watched the sunrise, remembering……

Remembering Easter in Jerusalem some thirty years ago, sitting with other pilgrims from all over the world in the "Garden Tomb" gardens waiting for the dawn.

Remembering Easter as a small child, walking with my Grandmother down to the river and watching for the dawn, followed by sausage in gravy (kept hot in a thermos flask) on fresh baked bread.

Remembering climbing a small hill overlooking Kariba Lake in the dark as a teenager to celebrate the Risen Lord with my youth group in the first light of dawn.

Remembering those Easter's when the only prayer that made sense was "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"

Remembering Easters gone by shared with family and friends, ordinary love filled holidays …….

Remembering that the High Holy Days are about remembering, as is the Eucharist. Remembering that as God has been with me in the past, so He will remain in my present, regardless of whether I am able to recognise that or not.

In my remembering I felt the loneliness of this year's Easter, celebrated by myself. Yet, in the gathering dawn I knew I was not alone, that around the world faithful people of all shades and understanding would be gathering to remember and to celebrate, just I am doing alone. And my prayer turned to my friend Theresa who was received into the Catholic Church last night. Her journey to this point has been long and arduous but joy filled, especially these last few weeks.

And so with the Christian world I can say this morning

The Lord is Risen!

He is Risen indeed!

Allelulia.

1 comment:

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.