Monday 9 May 2011

Morning Prayer .... once more

I am a "morning" person, the only one, as it happens, in my household. I have savoured this silent quiet time when there are no immediate demands on me since my sons were big enough to sleep the night through. Despite the growing cold I had a urgent, childish need to be outside this morning.

And when I got out and lifted my eyes to the East there, rising above the first faint amber blush of dawn, were Venus and Mercury almost chasing each other ahead of the sun with Mars and Jupiter close by. All the other stars had faded leaving these four bright on the horizon. As I gazed in wonder at this rare sight, a robin opened the dawn chorus just above my head and the Crested Snake Eagle flew down to perch on an electricity pole. My small grey cat pranced delicately while the mad Valentine and Spot the dalmatian danced delighted at the prospect of  an outing.

And the Psalmists prayers of wonder and praise came to mind.

Particularly this morning Psalm 19

     The heavens tell out the glory of God
      the vault of heaven reveals his handiwork.
      One days speaks to another,
       night with night shares its knowledge
      and this without speech or language or
      sound of any voice;
      Their music goes out through all the earth
      their words reach the end of the world.
      In them a tent is fixed for the sun,
      who comes out like a bridegroom from his wedding canopy
      rejoicing like a strong man to run his race.
      His rising is at one end of the heavens
      his circuit touches their farthest ends,
      and nothing is hidden from his heat.


      The law of the Lord is perfect and revives the soul.
      The Lord's instruction never fails,
       and makes the simple wise.
       the precepts of the Lord are right and rejoice the heart.
       The commandments of the Lord shines clear
       and gives light to the eyes.
       The fear of the Lord is pure and abides forever.
       The Lord's decrees are true and righteous every one,
       more to be desired than gold, pure gold in plenty,
       sweeter than syrup or honey from the comb.
       It is these that gives thy servant warning, 
       and he who keeps them wins a great reward.


      Who is aware of his secret sins?
      Cleanse me of any secret fault.
      Hold back thy servant also from sins of self will,
       lest they get the better of me.
     Then I shall be blameless
      and innocent of any great transgression.


      May all that I say and think be acceptable to Thee,
      O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

This is my prayer today.

  

1 comment:

  1. oh my...what an image. I join you in that prayer.

    ReplyDelete

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.