Thursday 21 June 2012

Small Community

Yesterday a trainee Professional Hunter got severely hurt in the bush and was air evacuated to Harare in urgent need of medical help and a blood transfusion. However there was a shortage of his slightly unusual blood type and the word went out on email and twitter and skpye and text requesting anyone with his blood type to donate blood. The response was overwhelming and many waited in line for over and hour to donate blood. Some had come, not knowing their blood type but sought to donate anyway while another offered to fly in from Zambia at his own expense.

Being a universal donor I stood in the line in car park and marvelled at the people of all races and creeds who had come and good naturedly stood in the brisk cold waiting their turn for an unknown young man.

Such is what it means to live in a small community and for that I offered a prayer of grateful thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Quite a wonderful story. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminded me of, on a smaller scale, today's Mass in my small town. I coughed violently through the Mass and stepped out, later approached by a Good Samaritan who offered me water. Afterward, waiting, for my ride to come and get me, I had multiple offers of a ride. Kindness is good, and, inspired by you, I am also offering a prayer of thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.