Wednesday 6 February 2013

ITCZ

We have a weather phenomenon here called the Inter Tropical Convergence Zone or ITCZ. Generally the ITCZ appears in February and brings with it overcast and persistent rain. The overcast and rain can last for days, often the entire month with very little sunshine. If the ITCZ moves in and stays put for any length of time tempers fray and sense's of humour fail. We are Africans and used to sunshine and blue skies so this month of damp wetness does not suit us.

This years long range weather forecast predicted a dry February and little or no Inter Tropical Convergence. While we don't like the ITCZ rain its failure to form this leads to drought conditions and famine. I am not begging here - everyone is heartily tired of famine in Africa. Just a statement of fact.

However........

it formed early yesterday morning and we have had overcast and drizzle for the last two days with the promise of at least another week of it. Not bad, as it goes, but it may extend. Already I am depressed by the leaden grey skies and sprinkling rain. I cling to the beautiful morning earlier in the week but its glory is fading fast. This morning I have had a new thought as I deal with some matters from my Dad's Estate. We are of Finnish descent, though it is not something I often think about. Somewhere I read that Fins have one of the highest depression and suicide rates due to the lack of light and the high proportion of overcast days. Perhaps some of what I feel is a genetic inheritance.

Not sure why, but this is a strangely comforting thought and it makes the overcast easier to bear.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you receive plenty of life nourishing rain...even if it is challenging to live with grayness. (I on the other hand like cloudy days, too much sun is hard on my eyes...go figure?)...

    ReplyDelete

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.