Friday 22 February 2013

Squeak was a very fine cat

This morning Ranganayi my gardener and Smokey Cat and I buried Squeak under the shade of the spreading jacaranda tree, where she liked to sit to survey her domain and the goings on on the road in the cool, cool of the evening.

She died last night from complications following dental surgery for the tooth problems that were preventing her from eating.

I rummage in my memories of her this morning, seeking the best and sifting through them in my mind for comfort just as I might turn a river polished stone in my hand. I smile gently to myself as I think of her benign dictatorship of the entire household. She has been Top Cat for the fourteen years of her life, and though others have tried to usurp her position  from time to time, none of us, cat, dog, hamster and human ever seriously thought of disputing her claim to the title, and all the perks that go with the post.

She considered VetBoy her especial human and guarded him jealously from all comers. I learned much from her when he went away to University, both to rejoice at his presence and serenity during his absences. I will hold that particularly in gratitude toward her always, deep in my heart. She and I developed more of a rapport when he went away, born in part from our shared experience of missing him. I think back to her arrival in our household as  6 week old kitten, who had been hand raised by friends when her mother was killed before her eyes even opened. She was a fighter, surviving a period with out sustenance and a mothers warmth and going on to thrive, and to live life to the fullest.

Never a very vocal cat, she had other endearing ways of making her wishes known and crystal clear though she was not above using teeth to make her displeasure known. Mornings will not quite be the same, without her insistence that breakfast be served NOW, before any thing else happened and before I had even put the coffee on.

Rest in peace Squeak, you will be missed.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Gaye. Such a lovely kitty. So much to miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, as well. You paint a rich portrait of her, which I can see in my minds eye, of a loved cat who loved in return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. Your picture, as Terri said, helps me to envision her.

    ReplyDelete

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.