Wednesday 2 May 2012

A prayer received

I received this prayer as a "chain" letter this morning from a friend.


"God, our Father, If it is your will, walk through my house and take away all my worries and illnesses and please watch over and heal my family in Jesus name, Amen." 


Now although it didn't threaten all sorts of bad luck and proffered blessings if sent on to at least twelve friends, I didn't send it on. I didn't send it on because it just didn't seem like a Christian prayer. How, I ask myself, can a Christian pray that all their worries and illnesses be removed? Never seen that happen in real life. I have seen strength given where there was weakness and courage where there was none and joy for sadness, both in my own life and in that of others. Usually I pray not for removal but for courage and strength and joy and that my needs will be met.


Have I been wrong all these years?

2 comments:

  1. amen. I sometimes add, "for stamina"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking that someday "this will all be better". A wise coworker of mine reminded me that God does not promise happiness. I hope that I will continue to exercise joy, like a muscle, both for myself and others. And I hope this for you, too.

    ReplyDelete

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.