Tuesday 15 January 2013

At the end of the day

My grandmother, who taught me to pray, would often use the words from the Anglican Book of Common Prayer at the end of the day. What I learned as a child I do still and tonight I pray in weariness born of being busy at work, caring for a sick husband and a sick cat, and the edgy grief of missing Vetboy who is back at University after two wonderful months at home.

              Lord support us all the day long, 
              until the shadows lengthen and the evening comes,
              and the busy world is hushed. 
              Then in Thy mercy grant us safe lodging, 
             a holy rest and peace at the last.

Funny how the words we learned to pray with when we are very young are the ones we are drawn to when energy is low, and the spirit drags a little. Comforted and warmed by the memory of my grandmother I slide down toward sleep, happy to close out tomorrow in the welcome of my own bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.