Thursday 24 January 2013

Changing life

Early this morning Small and Wonderful Husband left for Bloemfontein in South Africa where tomorrow Small will begin his University education. He hugged me tightly this morning before he left, saying "see you in March Mum". That hug conveyed so much - anxiety, excitement, quivering tension of a horse in the starting gates.

I am left pondering the changes.

This is a change for both him and for my husband and I. And our feelings mirror each other surprisingly closely. I will miss Small enormously, even as I am delighted that he is able to move on to the next stage of his life. I will miss his mischievous humour, his willing help and the friends who seem to fill the house. It will be quiet now. Mostly I will miss our outings together - we do have such fun together.

Yet much as I will miss him I am looking forward too the new flexibility that not having children in school will bring. The opportunity to plan a holiday outside of school holidays, to take off for a weekend on impulse, to spend a Friday night in peace as Small is not partying (well I won't know about it) and just time together with my husband. I can see that we will be buried in our books often enough, but it will be strange to have a conversation that doesn't get interrupted.

Changes.

A new phase in my life.

What will it bring?

2 comments:

  1. No doubt being an "empty nester" household is a change but you and your husband will indeed grow to appreciate it deeply. Even though, from time to time, you miss the presence of you children and the energy they bring. Thankfully they will come home to visit and you will get your fill. How exciting for him to be on his way to a new adventure, and you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change, change. Both promise of pleasure and pain. I hope you find joy in the extra time.

    ReplyDelete

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.