Wednesday 30 January 2013

Missing him but not sad

I am not sure why people keep saying to me you must be so sad without your boy and how terrible the empty nest must feel. I am coming to realise that this what many mothers feel when their children leave home. In that I would appear to be fortunate. I certainly miss him, lots. But I cannot be sad that he has left home.

How can I?

He sent me a text this morning telling me that he is having a blast. It's clear that he's excited and enjoying his new environment, that he is utterly immersed in his adventure. How can I be sad when my son is happy? Isn't that what every mother wants for her child - that they be happy?

It maybe that I have a slightly different perspective having lost a child. That is sad. Twenty years on it still makes me sad, and even now some nights I weep gently for her loss.

So no I am not sad that Small has left home, even if I do miss him.

2 comments:

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.