Wednesday 14 March 2012

I am an accountant...maybe

I am an accountant. I say so on my sidebar and for all my working life I have been able to say this quite unequivocally. Accounts is not what I do, is is what I am. I know that I think like an accountant in many diverse areas of my life from parenting to praying. I was born to a family of accountants and soldiers, going back four or five or six generations. Sometimes the two lines even mixed when some members were quartermasters to this Imperial army or that. So you might say it's in my genes. Diner table talk in inclined to revolve around economics and finance and budgets and deeply technical aspects of our work. Something that drives Vetboy mad as no one really shares his interest in science and things veterinary.

Beyond the genetics and the family history being an accountant has always made me happy, and I have not ever really wanted to do anything else.

But I discover that if you get mixed up with them Jesuits and with Ignatius then your perspective on things begins to change. Not dramatically at this moment in time but enough for me to be aware that my longing for God is stronger and more demanding than I ever imagined it could be. I find that perhaps I am being shifted out of my happy, simple life as an accountant into something quite Other.

Only just right now I can't say what that Other might be.

Well I have learnt this much. Breathe. Wait. The Mysterious God walks with me in the Darkness, perhaps.

And the Other will reveal itself.

11 comments:

  1. Started the Exercises, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt they will stir things up. In the best of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaye, I was on Robin's blog and read that you are also a convert to Catholicism so I clicked on your name to see if you have a blog. Your posts are so very real and helpful to others because of their integrity. I am also making the 19th Annotation and God has really blessed me although it hasn't been an easy journey. I'm looking forward with great anticipation to the faith journey that lies ahead. God bless you as you experience God's leading as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynda. I hope your own journey is also blessed.

      Delete
  4. I am accompanying someone through the Exercises right now. I love thinking about all these women all over the globe walking with Ignatius. How delighted he must be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell from this article how passionate you are in being an accountant, Gaye. I find it very impressive to know someone who loves her job so much. How long have you been an accountant? Hmm. I’m guessing it was your lifelong dream eh? Anyway, keep on loving your job, Gaye. I’m sure you are going to inspire many people.

    Jeanie Yearsley

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, it looks like being an accountant really runs in the blood. Haha. I wonder how it feels like to be with your family. Will I enjoy having conversations about finance and economics? :) Anyway, I like what you stated in your profile. “A very part time blogger who is better with numbers than words.”- Love numbers much, huh? And you’re really so proud of being an accountant. Great to hear that, Gaye! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just right to be proud of your profession, Gaye. :) Today, people use accounting when they study financial statements to make the right investment decisions, to assess interest rates to pay off their house mortgages, and calculate rates for car payments.

      Delete
  7. I salute you for being passionate about accounting, Gaye. There are few people like you who thinks that way. Always think positively, and I hope you'll continue your passion for numbers, I know you'll be an auditing manager in one of those big accounting firms someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I greatly admire accountants for without them, I don’t know what will happen in the business world. They are the ones who accurately develop and maintain all your financial data, and this is really important as we all know that the financial structure of a company is one of the important elements for the business to continue with its operations.

    ReplyDelete

I have been found by them pesky robots so please bear with the comment moderation.